Thursday, July 5, 2012

Daddy's Rocking Chair


“The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’ “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’” Luke 15:28-32


Hello readers.  Welcome to my heart.  Let's begin.

I have seen an interesting new twist in this Prodigal Son story.  I want you to see what I see now when I hear this story.  So, welcome.

So, have you ever wondered why the older brother didn't respond the same way the dad did?  I'm assuming most of us know the story (if not, go read Luke 15).  Okay, its obviously because he was too busy working and trying to be a good boy for Dad, so, what should he have been doing instead?

I invite you to just go with this illustration I'm about to paint, because I asked myself the question, "Where was the Dad while the boy was working?"  Well, we can imply that the Dad was waiting and looking for His son to come home because of this verse, "But while he (the lost son) was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him."  Luke 15:20.  


So imagine a large house with a front porch.  And the Dad, every morning, walks out to the front porch and sits in His rocking chair to watch for His son.  He stares down the long driveway, heart burdened that His son is still gone.  But, He's hoping that He'll see His son again soon.  And just imagine if the older brother would have came and sat down next to the Father on the porch?

Can you imagine the intimacy?  I see it as similiar to sitting in a hospital room with someone in the hospital bed, and you can't help but have an intimate time with the person in the hospital bed because in that moment they're suffering, they're weak and vulnerable---and there's nothing they can do about it.  So you're seeing them in their weakest moment---this is how I imagine the Father sitting on His porch. The Dad is suffering for His son, I'm sure praying and hoping that he would return home. 

Can you imagine the intimacy?  Sharing in the Father's suffering for your brother.  The intimacy of trying to relate in His pain, and the amazing conversation available as you wait.  The wisdom the Father can pour into you as you wait.  I mean, just being where the Father is, of course you'll recieve an overpour of information and wisdom and love and discipling as you just be near the Father.  And I love what the Father tells the young boy, "you are always here with me, and everything I have is yours."  Almost hinting at why do you need anything more than just me? And even if you need anything more, everything I have is yours.  If you want a goat, go get one.  If you want a calf, go get it.  But you're here, enjoy me.

I realize that a lot of Christians are missing this key element of their Christian walks.  Yes, God wants you to grow in knowledge of Him, to learn how to explain the trinity and to learn how to pray and to learn how to disciple others, but ultimately, He wants us to enjoy Him---to return to the place of Adam and Eve where they had full connection and full intimacy with Him. 

If we're ever reaching a place that we're focusing more on working and being obedient to the Father's orders than sitting on the porch and enjoying time with the Father, then we're missing the point of being home.

If you're a believer, you're home.  Take a break and just sit with the Father on the porch. 

If you're not a believer, your Father is waiting on the porch for you---and He's not concerned with the state you're in or what you've done.  He's more concerned about you being back with Him----He's waiting to shower you with compassion and love.   He's just waiting for you to come home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment