Thursday, December 6, 2012

You're Not That Awesome

Yeah. I said it. 

Hello readers.  Welcome to my heart.  Let's begin. 

I had this thought today about the disadvantages of the ME mentality of our culture.  I'm learning that we are actually losing or missing out on enjoying the value of God's splendor.  I'm really glad you're reading today.  Get ready for some gut punching. 

So let me say it again.  You're not that awesome.  Okay, maybe your parents did a great job of making you think that you're awesome.  But the truth of the matter is, you're not that awesome.  What you're finding your identity in is if anything fleeting and quite foolish.  Your taste in music is not that awesome.  Your swag or sense of style, not that awesome.  Your great job or career goals or ambitions, not that awesome.  Your GPA is not that awesome.  Your A's are not that awesome. Your perfect body and great teeth, not that awesome.  Your pageant winning beauty, not that awesome.  Your knowledge of football stats or any stats for that matter, not that awesome.  Your position and opinion, your Facebook posts and tweets, your clever idea of what you would do if you were president or a coach or whatever, not that awesome. 

I had the pleasure of watching this guy strut the intramural fields because he played for the Auburn football team.  I'm assuming, a few girls or probably a lot of girls for all I know have puffed his head up and his arrogance was just comical, even though in the same heart I grieved (but that's anoter blog), but I know the truth.  Bro, in two years, you'll be irrevelant.  You're not on Bo Jackson's level, so which means what for him, he's not that awesome.

I'm going somewhere with this, I promise. 

I've watched so many people find their identities in things that are, well, silly.  I've watched football players expect special treatment because they think they're awesome.  Celebrities do the same.  VIP's at the hotel I work at, all these people think they're awesome--and sadly, they're not. 

Hey, even myself.  I can get caught up in the influence I have at my church and the respect I get but the truth, the reality, I'm not that awesome.  If I was to leave today, a few people may miss, but soon, very soon at that--and hopefully and prayfully--another guy will come that everyone enjoys.  And even you reading my blog, if I get 100 views in one day---which would be awesome----but that wouldn't make me awesome.  Because.... 

I"m not that awesome. 

But I'm okay with that, and here's why. 

In order to enjoy the love of a Savior, we have to know we're sinners. 

That's true right?

I have to recognize my lowly position of falling short before the authority of God before I'm able to enjoy and bask in His love and grace. The gospel is scary sometimes, because even on my best day, like when my swag is tight and I haven't looked at a woman wrong all day probably because I haven't seen one all day, that even on that day I'm still not that awesome because I still fail God.  And so without that truth, I'm pridefully galloping around thinking I'm awesome, when actually, I am not. 

Can you imagine the chuckle that is probably deep within God's belly when we take pride in our own glory and in our own identities we form? 

These silly children. They actually think I'm going to compete for whose glory is better?  I'll just wait until there's fade, and they will see mine never does. 

Watch this. 

Who created the heavens and the earth?  Not you, He did.  Who has existed before creation, and will exist after creation?  Not you, He will.  Whose name has been talked about for generations?  Have you noticed that many believers are even afraid to bring up Jesus to their unbeliever friends?  Why is that?  His name, His glory is convicting, it's challenging, it's demanding Lordship, they don't like it, WE BARELY LIKE IT!  Whose name has been taken out of schools?  It offends.  Not yours, His name.  Whose name is praised when creation does how it was designed?  Not yours, His name.  Who aligned the writers of the Bible to somehow, check this out, they all lined up perfectly to say the same thing? Your name will not continue to be talked about after leaving this Earth.  Well, it may get brought up from time to time, but not weekly, or haha, definitely not every day.  And you wont have a book written about you that is translated in many different languages and continues to be sold generations and generations after you? 

So who is more awesome? You or Jesus? 

One of the most intimidating verses I've ran into so far in the Bible, and I love this, is this one.  

'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'" Romans 14:11.

On that day, bowing won't optional.  Responding to His glory won't be optional that day.  Either you'll willingly bow or the reverence and the weight of His glory and holiness causes you to fall on your knees to bow.  His glory is far greater than your own.

But I won't tear you down and not build you back up.  Hear me on this.

This is why we should rest in finding our identities only in Him. I love this truth about the story of the prodigal son.  Even when the prodigal son realized how lowly he had fallen, how unawesome he was, and he wanted to tell his dad what he should be considered in his eyes, "How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ So he got up and went to his father. Luke 15: 17-20

So he went home to the father, ready to confess and denounce his worthiness of sonship in his father's eyes.  And some could even say he may have deserved it, but what does the father do?  Let's read. 

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.  “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate.  For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

He called Him son.  He still called Him His son!!!!  Imagine the weight of His father's love resting on Him in that moment?  Appearing before his father, feeling undeserving of any special treatment, entitlement, or special attention.  And yet, the Father showers him with the best of Him, and still calling him by how He saw him, son.

Friends, You are sons and daughters of a holy God, who is awesome.  You're called and chosen by Him to live in Him, to be in relationship and fellowship with Him--all of this is not because of you, but because of Him.  A holy and awesome God chose you to be His own possession.  He chose you to redeem, to forgive, to love and shower with mercy and grace.  Not because you're awesome, but because an awesome God chose you.  I'll sum it up this way. 

You're nothing because of yourself, but everything because of God. 

I mean, let's look at it for what it is, this grace is truly undeserving.  Like, truly and fully undeserving.  And the perks of living in Him...ohh...should I even start this? 

We get to chill with the coolest Creator daily.  Like, you can tap into His presence right now, He's with you right now, for those living in Him.  We get promises of joy and peace here today on Earth, because of the promise of eternity, which is our inheritance and our long awaited hope. 

You're nothing because of yourself, but everything because of God.  Deal with it.  Because when you do, His goodness covers you and you're able to share in His glory, bask in His goodness, drink from His presence, eat of His grace. 

So, you're not that awesome.  But your Father that is awesome, calls you His son and His daughter.  Boast in His name, not your own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment